Downing's Oyster House - 4th Grade Adaptation
How did African-American entrepreneurs contribute to the antebellum economy of New York City? At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Assess the contributions of entrepreneurs such as Thomas Downing to the economy and social life of antebellum New York
- Identify the characteristics of a successful entrepreneur
- Contrast the image of a wealthy, successful free African American to the commonly-held image of antebellum African Americans as poor and enslaved
- How did free African Americans contribute to the building of New York?
- How did the unique social and economic fabric of New York contribute to the building of African American social and economic institutions?