Marcus Garvey and the Rise of Black Nationalism
What is Black Nationalism and is it still relevant in today’s world? At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the concept of black nationalism
- Understand the appeal of Marcus Garvey’s “Back to Africa” movement
- Identify other leading figures in the history of black nationalism
- Assess the validity of black nationalism in the context of today’s world
- What constitutes an act of resistance?
- What is freedom?
- Are some acts of resistance more effective than others?
- In what ways do our personal experiences shape our choices and actions?
- Why do some people become bystanders?