The African Grove Theater
Why was it important for African Americans to perform in and attend theatrical productions in pre-Civil War New York?
At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the importance of cultural expression in general and theatrical performance in particular to the African American community in antebellum New York
- Identify the historical contributions of the African Grove Theater
- Contrast racial attitudes toward actors in antebellum New York with those of present-day New York
- How did the existence of slavery shape African American communal life and cultural expression?
- How is a community defined?
- How was the African American community defined?