Marcus Garvey and the Rise of Black Nationalism - 4th Grade Adaptation
What choices were available to African Americans at the turn of the last century when facing racist America? At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Evaluate the concept of "Black Nationalism".
- Understand how African Americans might consider Marcus Garvey's "Back to Africa" movement as a realistic choice
- Identify other leading figures in the history of black nationalism
- What constituted an act of resistance of African Americans against the institution of slavery?
- Are some acts of resistance more effective than others?