The Slave Market: Slavery, Not Just A Southern Institution - 4th Grade Adaptation
What role did slavery play in the economic development of New York City? Why is slavery in New York City and other northern areas often left out of the story of the nation?
At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Explain how slavery was related to the economic development of New York.
- Identify and explain the role of the New York Slave Market in the growth of slavery in New York and throughout the entire nation.
- Evaluate the accuracy of textbook descriptions and prior learning about US slavery.
- How did slavery take root as an economic system in New York?
- How did this system evolve over time and eventually come to an end?
- Why do people think of slavery only in terms of the South?