Langston Hughes: “Dream Variations”
What insights did the poetry of Langston Hughes offer about the African-American community in Harlem?
At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Highlight elements in Langston Hughes' poetry that reflect the community from which he came.
Identify areas of concern to the African-American community in the first half of the twentieth century.
- Compare and contrast the different ways Langston Hughes uses dreams to define the goals of the African American community.
- Trace the recurring theme of dreams in African-American culture and history.
- How did African American history, including slavery and discrimination, shape African American communal life and cultural expression?
- How was the African American community defined?