The African Burial Ground - 4th Grade Adaptation
How does the discovery of the African Burial Ground teach us about how African Americans were valued
by New Yorkers as time went by? At the conclusion of this lesson, students will be able to:
- Identify important factual information about the African Burial Ground
- Understand how the devaluation of African Americans and their contributions to New York history continues after their death
- Develop empathic understanding of the significance of the loss and rediscovery of the remains of those buried at the African Burial Ground
- How did the existence of slavery shape African American communal life and cultural expression?
- How did acts of resistance shape African American cultural heritage and community?